Name: Hennie Prinsloo
Occupation: Managing Director: Konica Minolta Dealer
Date of birth: 3 February 1955
In my younger days: 5 silver medals in 11 Comrades marathons. Best marathon of 2 hours and 39 minutes.
Latest: Completed 99 races since January 2016. The J-Bay X trail run was a unique concept. Completed 3 individual 20km trail runs, all starting 12 hours apart. The 60km over 24 hours really test the “mettle” and endurance of all participants. My medal is a proud item on my shelf.
Sponsors: Venditor Konica Minolta
Firstly, thank you for taking the time out to share a bit of yourself with us, we really appreciate it
Karoo Running (KR) - What is it that you love about trail running?
Being out in nature is proven to make you happier. It’s science running on soft surfaces like dirt, which is so good for your joints and less stress on your body. You get to escape. No cars, no street lights or buildings. It’s always like a mini vacation.
KR - How did you become a trail runner?
In Gauteng operates a person called “Shane Gouldie”. He was stuck in a running rut, bored by his neighbourhood routes and believed it might be time to leave the road behind and head to the trails. I first got started with trail running when I saw Shane’s website called “trailadventure.co.za”. That was the “kick start” that I needed.
KR - What is your favorite trail?
To run in the Karoo. In the Karoo you will have the privilege of running through the most amazing landscape with people that have never seen the Karoo landscape before. There is no better way to experience nature than by running through it. The friendly people in the Karoo tend to lead happier lives, because they are down to earth, approachable and welcoming. Karoo people make visitors more confident in themselves.
KR - What are your recommendations for trail running beginners?
· Get the right footwear. Look for a shoe that has a good solid tread.
· Get the right kit. The challenging days are always the ones you remember the most.
· Don’t just jump straight into trying to run across hills and mountains if you haven’t done it before.
· Use trail running as an adventurous way of exploring the outdoors.
KR - What is your favorite trail running gear? (ex: Shoes, Hydration pack, headlamp, socks)
· Packable waterproof jacket that is water repellent fabric so it keeps you dry.
· GPS system to track your progress.
· Gaiters to cover your shoes and stop little stones getting into them.
· A running cap keeps your eyes and face protected so you can stay focused on the route.
KR - What is an average day of trail running for you?
Stay on the marked trails and run through puddles, not around them (making the trail wider), leave no trace, and don’t litter.
KR - What is your longest distance you have done in a trail?
The Karoo Koppie X-ing stage race over 65km. Not far behind is the JBayX in Jefferys Bay. To run 3 x 20km every 12 hours, is really challenging.
KR - How much do you eat when you are training?
I am a 100% banting supporter. A low-carb, high fat and a moderate amount of protein along with non-starchy vegetables, ares always my favourite.
KR - What do you take with you on your long runs? (ex: gels, fruits, snacks, salt tabs)
No one will believe what my favourite energy source is on long runs:
· Purity pouches: Pureed baby food in convenient pouches. My favourite is the “vanilla custard and prune” flavours.
· Squish: Puree for babies. Favourite flavour: Summer Berry.
The big advantage: Approximately only R7.00 per purity pouch.
· Some marketing for Woolworths: A few of their fruity twisters is always a must in your backpack. (Approximately only R5.00 each.)
KR- Do you have a favourite running app? If so, which one and why?
Shane Gouldie’s “trailadventure” and his facebook page always promote adventurous trail running events. “karoorunning.com” is also creating some challenges.
KR- Have you ever been to the Karoo?
Many times as a visitor, but only at a single occastion as a trail runner. The Koppie X-ing in 2016 was one of the golden moments in my life.
KR - When you hear the word "Karoo", what is the first thing that come to mind, other than wide open arid space?
The Karoo is the home of peace and tranquillity where you can recharge your batteries, while exploring the wide open plains dotted with hills.
KR - Thank you very much for sharing your time, experience and knowledge with us, we truly appreciate it, and hope to see you on some Karoo trails soon.